I made these shredded beef carnitas a couple weeks ago and they were so delicious! The rub was perfect and the steak was cooked just right!
- 2 lbs. Flank steak
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (seeded if you want less heat)
- 2 red peppers (can change up color of pepper to preference
- Chopped Avocado (for serving)
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Salsa (for serving)
- Cilantro (for serving)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all the spice rub ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Rub spices over front and back of flank steak then place in the bottom of crockpot.
- Cover the steak with the chopped onions, peppers and jalapeño. Turn heat on low and cook for 6-8 hours. My crockpot cooks quicker and I like my steak closer to the medium side so I did 4.5 hours and it was perfectly tender and moist.
- Remove the meat from the crockpot and shred meat with fork. Place meat back in the crockpot on warm until ready to serve.
- Pair with my homemade salsa recipe here: Homemade Salsa
- Serve with tortillas, lime, salsa, avocado, cilantro and any other toppings desired.